Some of the most important benefits of a provisional patent application are-
• Establish an early filing date
• Give additional time to perfect the invention or work on improvements
• Determine whether there is a market for the product or process that is being patented.
• To delay filing and prosecution costs to a later date.
• Include sufficient detail to support claims in a later-filed non-provisional application.
• Permits the applicant to mark a product as “patent pending.”
• Gives protection against public disclosure provided that a complete non-provisional application is filed shortly thereafter.