How Individual Inventors Are Revolutionizing Home Automation
How Individual Inventors Are Revolutionizing Home Automation: Our fast-paced lifestyle needs a smart home that lets you control your home appliances from a mobile device – no matter where you are. Factors such as comfort, safety and security inspire inventors around the world to create breakthrough technologies in the field of home automation.
Back in 2018, the global home automation market was valued at a whopping USD 20.31 billion. Since then, the growth in the field of home automation market has seen an upward sweep in terms of market size and innovation. It is particularly gaining momentum in developing countries, where the need for home automation is due to lifestyle changes and faster implementation of home automation technology.
The chart below illustrates a significant growth in home automation market size, as well as the projected growth over the next six years. By 2025, we can expect the global home automation market to grow by USD 114 billion.
Prominent companies have been researching and developing solutions in the field of home automation technology. Key industry players in home automation technology are:
- Honeywell International Inc.
- Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
- Johnson Controls, Inc.
- Siemens AG
- Schneider Electric SE
It is crucial to note that apart from key industry players taking the lead in home automation technology, individual inventors too are creating novel home automation solutions and simultaneously protecting their inventions through patents.
Some of the top unknown/unseen inventors owning good quality of patents that are not assigned to any of the leading companies are – Jeffrey Konicek, Douglas Lundy, Ehud Mendelson. Let’s get to know them:
- Jeffrey Konicek – An individual inventor, Jeffrey owns several patents in home automation technology. For example, he holds the US patent 8880047 – which discloses a home automation system that enables smartphone users to automatically trigger their home appliances when in proximity to the home automation system. There are a lot of similar solutions provided by companies like Apple, Google, Samsung, etc. currently available in the market for public use. The claimed patent invention has a great market value and hence proving that inventions by individual inventors are revolutionizing the home automation industry.
Jeffrey is among the top 25 individual patent owners in the field of home automation. Contributing to three excellent quality patents, including one which ranks under top 50 Sagacious IP ranking system. One of his inventions even competes with Sony in terms of home automation patent ownership (all patents owned by Sony are ranked above 200 in our ranking system).
- Douglas Lundy – Douglas is an individual inventor who owns patents specific to home automation technology, amongst which the US patent – 8994556 discloses a home automation system for providing home security against any threat detection. Here’s how his invention works: a real-time alert is sent to the user system when sensor device detects an anomaly – an open door (when it should be closed). The claimed patent invention holds a great market value. There are a lot of similar solutions provided by companies working in home security system. The Jhaver Group and Vayyar Imaging’s home automation solutions are currently available in the market for public utility.
Douglas Lundy is amongst the top 50 individual patent owners in the field of home automation (as per Sagacious IP ranking system). As an individual inventor, he is an independent leader, competing neck-to-neck with big companies such as Hitachi and Robert Bosch in terms home automation patent ownership.
- Ehud Mendelson – Ehud Mendelson owns patents disclosing home automation technology, amongst which the US patent – 9961507 discloses a home automation environment, wherein series of beacons or RF tags are placed inside home to support location-based services. Users receive signals emitted by beacons and LBS supporting information on their mobile phones. There are a lot of similar solutions provided by companies working in indoor navigation systems. Companies such as Apple and Infsoft’s home automation solutions are currently available in the market for public utility. The claimed patent invention has a great market value and hence proves how individual inventions are transforming the home automation industry.
Ehud Mendelson is amongst the top 50 individual patent owners in the field of home automation as per Sagacious IP ranking system. As an individual inventor, he is leading companies such as Accenture Global Services and ZTE in terms home automation patent ownership.
Home automation technology future trends
The future of home automation finds relevance not only in elder care market (where it aims to improve their quality of life); but in developing energy efficient automation systems for a greener planet too. We are hopeful that more and more individual inventors will find better solutions to make our homes simpler yet smarter.
– Shruti Khanna and the Editorial Team